A role model has a positive effect on others. They look up to the role model and emulate his (or her) behavior.
How can you be a positive influence? Is it something you have to actively do? Or is it based on your natural make-up? In some cases, role models are born, but it’s also possible to develop the traits and skills of a role model.
If you’d like to become a role model, these secrets are exactly what you need. However, bear in mind that it isn’t an overnight exercise. Having a positive influence on others demands consistent effort and personal sacrifice!
Follow this helpful guide to become the role model you desire:
1. Stand behind your values. People look for guidance from others. They watch for signals on how to act and behave. By displaying your values, you help lay down the path for others around you.
- What matters to you? Do you value honesty and integrity? Show your values by handling situations accordingly. Clearly explain to those you influence why you choose a certain approach.
- When you show your love for your community as a whole, you become selfless in the eyes of onlookers.
2. Show resolve to overcome obstacles. Young people often feel like there’s nowhere to turn. When situations get tough, it’s easy for them to break. By demonstrating courage and perseverance, you inspire others to do the same.
- Even when you’re afraid, close your eyes and push through. Be willing to accept the outcome, however unfavorable it may be.
- Show how reliance on a support group can go a long way. Your support group could be your family members. For a teen, that group could be their peers.
3. Admit mistakes and apologize. One of the most admirable things you can do is admit when you’re wrong. It takes a lot of heart and humility to do that. By conquering your pride, you prove to others how strong you are.
- It may be better waiting until the tension of a situation wears off. When you’re calm, use the first opportunity to apologize.
- Explain to the other party where you went wrong. This shows that you take ownership of the part you played.
- Use your own life examples to show others the valor in accepting mistakes and moving on by apologizing.
4. Be passionate and ready to inspire. Whether you love to play music or cook, find something you’re truly passionate about. Let your passion impact your life. Live and breathe it from a genuine place.
- Passion is infectious. When others see how much something means to you, they become inspired by you.
- Use your passion to assist others whenever possible. If it means a lot to you, it will be easy for you to share it with those around you.
- Passion and a genuine love for something are always inspirational.
Bear in mind, these secrets of becoming a role model only scratch the surface. As you master them, others will start to see you as a positive influence.
Continue to develop your natural talents and skills and practice living the values you aspire to. Soon, you’ll see others putting your behaviors into practice in their own lives. Enjoy the moment as you realize what a fine role model you’ve become!