You’ve probably realized how dynamic the world of child-rearing can be. As times change, your approach to raising your kids will most likely change too.
As science comes up with new inventions, kids seem to develop intelligence earlier and earlier. As a parent, it’s your job to ensure you can keep up with everything that’s happening with your children.
Consider these important points for successful parenting in today’s world:
1. Keep abreast of technology. At the rate at which technology evolves, it’s important that you keep up with it. Remember that your kids now rely on technology for virtually everything. Knowing what they are doing with technology can help you relate better to your kids.
- While apart from your children, split your communication time between the phone and the internet. Get involved with social media, email, and other means of electronic communication. It makes you seem “cool” to your children and helps you to keep up-to-date on their activities.
- When shopping for gifts, think technology. Even things like reading can be achieved through technology. As far as kids are concerned, e-readers are cooler than paperbacks. Embrace their idea of coolness while encouraging the age-old practice of reading.
- Learning new technology with your kids opens their eyes to new interests.
2. Respect tradition. Even though there are new ways of doing things, it’s important to stay true to tradition. Avoid forcing your children to do things the same way you used to do them, but at least expose them to how things were before.
- Explain to your kids how you used to communicate. Teach them letter-writing skills, for example. Show them that they can still achieve basic tasks even in the absence of technology.
- Get them involved with “old school” games. Take them outdoors and play hide-and-seek. Get out the board games at family parties.
- Sensitize them to the simple fun they can have outside of video games.
- If there’s a power outage, you want to avoid having your kids see it as a catastrophe!
3. Encourage and embrace their opinions. The modern parent encourages kids to give opinions. Living in the information age means kids are exposed to just about everything. As such, it’s important to embrace those heart-to-heart conversations with them.
- Talk with your kids about the birds and the bees or discuss how they can approach someone they like at school.
- Hear their point of view first and then give yours.
- Discuss the pros and cons of an issue and then allow them to decide the best approach.
- Give your child freedom to make decisions after getting your advice. Allowing your kids the space to make choices may ultimately result in them taking your recommendation in the end.
4. Promote physical and mental toughness. In this fast-paced world, you’ll need to come to terms with how easily your kids can be damaged. Access to information exposes them to things you never knew as a child.
- Allow them to learn, but encourage them to be tough just in case they aren’t able to achieve the desired outcome.
As life in this world changes, the rules of parenting evolve as well. You’ll want to keep up with the ever-changing world we live in! Keep yourself in the loop so you can relate well to your kids as they’re growing up.