It can be difficult to turn things around when you’re in a cranky mood. Sometimes, life throws you a curve ball, and it affects you for a prolonged period of time. Moodiness can wreak havoc on your relationships. It can also make it challenging for you to be productive. Therefore, it’s a good idea to try and change your mood as soon as possible.
If you’re interested in achieving a mood shift, you can achieve it without any medications or gimmicks. And the best part is that you can do it in just seven days.
Consider these quick fixes for boosting your mood:
1. Start exercising regularly. Exercise is extremely underrated! It’s good for physical fitness, mental wellness, and peace of mind. Working out regularly helps to release your “feel good” hormones. As a result, you automatically start to experience happier feelings.
- If you’re inactive now, start simple with something like walking. Perhaps you can take a walk around your neighborhood and enjoy the beauty of nature. Something like that has a way of automatically elevating your mood.
- Try to do some form of exercise each day. Think of it as one of your essential activities, like eating or showering.
2. Be “scent-sational.” You’d be surprised about the impact simple things can have on your mood. For example, consider your sense of smell. By being in an environment where pleasurable scents exist, your mood is automatically elevated.
- Lavender is a scent that promotes relaxation. Place a few droplets in your bath water or burn lavender-scented incense while reading.
- What are some of your favorite scents? Identify those smells that you can tie to positive feelings. Is it the aroma of fresh-baked bread or pastries? If so, start baking more often!
3. Spend quality time with family. Surround yourself with whomever you consider to be family. It doesn’t have to be blood relatives. Family consists of those who have your best interests at heart. Having loved ones nearby helps to boost your mood tremendously.
- For at least four of these seven days, reserve time for your “family.” It could be an hour each day just chatting on the phone or meeting for a cup of coffee.
- Sharing your feelings with your loved ones can help lift the weight off your shoulders. Sometimes that’s the best way to get past an undesirable mood.
4. Take up a new hobby. Learning something new is a great distraction for a sour mood. Focus your energies on something other than what might be upsetting you. Pretty soon, you’ll realize your mood is positive more often than it’s negative.
- Choose something that engages your mind and body. Getting your brain and hands involved helps you to be more focused and engaged in whatever you’re doing. For example, take up knitting or start building model airplanes.
- Try a hobby that aligns with your passion and gets your creative juices flowing.
Boosting your mood isn’t rocket science.
Although it’s easy to wallow in negative feelings, that’s unhealthy and counterproductive. Follow these strategies for one week and you’ll feel the difference!